About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Monday, December 26, 2011

The Trip to town in Grandad's Truck in the 60's to the Creamery


The old pick up truck Grandad Dale drove took weekly trips to town with the cream we separated everyday from milking the cows on the Zemanek farm.  It was a treat to sit next to Grandad as he shifted the gears over the bumpy roads to town. Scottsbluff, Nebraska was where the Platte Valley Creamery was and still is to this day; and it seemed to take forever to get there...  You see, it was the anticipation of what was at the end of the journey that kept us hopping in the seat...

Home Made Ice Cream!


This was in the 60's and I remember it like it was yesterday.  Grandad would take me inside to let me pick out which kind of ice cream cone I wanted and take me by the hand and lead me back to the old truck and lift me up on to the tail gate to eat the most wonderful ice cream, dripping down my chin with a huge smile on my face.  The trip home I usually fell fast asleep up next to his chest and dream't of next week's ride to town.



My daughter and I still to this day NEVER go home without getting a Home Made tin roof sundae from there.  It's a treat I miss and have found memories of the ride to town next to my Grandad... He made his own Home made ice cream on the farm and it was absolutely wonderful too and I will share the recipe with you soon, but I think it was the trip in the truck being next to Grandad that made it special.  He has been gone since 1985 but his memory lives on in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment