About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Diva's Flaky Pie Crust and Pie Crust Cookies

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
 Flaky Pie Crust & Pie Crust Cookies



Inspiration from:  This was past on to me by my Czech Grandma Maragret... This pie crust has never failed me and it's tradition to bake the leftover scraps covered with cinnamon and sugar (kekse kuchen) Cookie pies in German.  My kids would never forgive if I didn't.


Ingredients
4 Cups Flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tb vinegar

1 3/4 Cup Crisco

1 egg, beaten
2/3 Cup iced water
Directions

Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.  Combine vinegar, iced cold water and egg in small bowl.  Make a well in flour mixture and add liquid mixture in center with crisco and cut til moist. Turn out onto a floured counter.  Knead only slightly and roll out.  (Grandma always said the less you mess with the dough, the flakier the crust)


Variations


Makes 2 double pies or 4 shells.  Bake according to pie recipe


Bake leftover scraps on a cookie sheet sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar in a
350 degree F oven for 12-15 mins.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment