About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Memories of a lazy summer afternoon Bayard, NE in the 60's

Memories of a lazy summer afternoon Bayard, NE in the 60's

Funny how people take for granite of the things surrounding where they live and don't appreciate them til they no longer live there.  Maybe I didn't pay attention to the beauty around me or maybe I thought the rest of the world looked the same.  Growing up in a small town does that to people.  Someday part of me will be returned a couple miles from Chimney Rock.  My dad lays to rest here and enjoys this beautiful site everyday.  

This area is a plant anchored dunes of the largest Sand Hills in North America and we considered an irreclaimable desert.  As far as I can remember as we rode our horses bareback across the hills, it was mostly a sagebrush prairie, full of little tiny creeks,  coyotes, mule deer and rattlesnakes.  The sand and the cactus always seemed to be where I would land when Champ our horse would throw me when he was spooked by the natures of the land.  My brother would become furious with me because I was too little to get back up on Champ. (I was the runt of all the cousins as they called me and the screamer who always got everyone else in trouble) Champ was a very well trained horse and our dad could make him sit to help me get on.  Although, my brother Randy was not so talented with him. Many times he would back Champ up to a barbed wire fence post for me to crawl on after many attempts.  If it hadn't been for the rattlesnakes, I think he would have left me.

Below is the history of Bayard, NE and was only a couple miles from the Zemanek farm.  How we ever grew crops like sugar beets, corn, etc in such a sandy area is beyond me.

Chimney Rock National Historic Site – Bayard, Nebraska

Chimney Rock National Historic Site – chimney rock with wagon.jpegChimney Rock National Historic Site – Bayard, Nebraska
Seeing the awe inspiring rock on the trip from the east coast on the Oregon,California and Mormon Trail made those traveling want to stop and leave something for those that would follow behind.  There were pictures describing their trip west, words of “wisdom” and encouragement were left.  All were part of a great movement of people and ideas that passed by Chimney Rock in the years 1812 – 1866.  
There are a number of the artifacts housed in the Visitor Center for you to see.  There is also a digital presentation of the material as part of the Western Trails Project that is available for you to view to get a better understanding of those thoughts and remnants from the brave people that headed west during that timeframe.
Chimney Rock stands at 4,225 feet above sea level.  This measurement was taken by a man named David Cosad who measured his shadow against the rock’s to come up with the figure of 360 ft from the base to the top.  With today’s measurement techniques it is interesting to learn that he was within 10 percent of today’s measurements!
The rock is really pretty interesting with the peak extending upward just like a chimney (therein it’s name).  Although there have been stories about how the rock with disappear it certainly will be a long time in the coming.  Although erosion created it and erosion will probably destroy it no one can tell how long it will be before the spire disappears.
The pictures show how the rock has changed over the years, the symmetrical lines of the past are altered some by the wind and rain so the base is less smooth than the picture from the 1930’s compared to the one from 1977.Chimney rock 1930s.jpg
Visiting the Ethel and Christopher J. Abbott Visitor Center is a great way to learn about the Oregon-California Trail.  The visitor center is open year round and group tours can be arranged in advance.  chimney rock 1977.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment