About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy in Heaven...My Tribute


I have been sitting here trying to think of something to write on my Daddy in honor of his birthday and the flood of memories are deep.  He was my ROCK, my PROTECTOR, and the most WONDERFUL Father and Grandpa anyone could ever have.
Dad, My son Adam & my baby nephew JD
My brother Randy is the one behind Dad partially seen with the beard
1983
Glen Marvin Zemanek was born December 30, 1936 to Dale and Margaret (Gartman) Zemanek in a little one room shack that was on the 160 acre farm in Bayard, Nebraska up on the hill. It still had the old cast iron red water pump right outside the door that worked in the 60's. Us kids use to play in the old farm house when we didn't get caught by Grandma to get out.  It was like a sacred building attached to other buildings that was used for storage by the time my brother Randy and I came along. OMG Grandma could stand on the steps and yell.... RANDY DALE & CHERYL ANN at the top of her lungs in a high screech and believe me we RAN.  It was a 1 room shack that was built by Grandad and I have no doubt that it was like a palace to their little family of 4. Many years later as the dust filled room sat empty, we still loved to think of how our Daddy was born in that little room shack.

The outhouse was down the hill equip with the Sear's & Roebuck catalog and we were still required to use it even though a bathroom was built in the new farm house in the mid 60's.  Grandad was a very frugal man and would not even allow us to flush the toilet but every 3-4 times, well except for #2's, but we had to prove it.  It had better still smelled.  But boy was Grandma proud to finally have a real running water bathroom in the house.

Dad graduated from Minatare High School in 1955 and went straight into the Army. He dated my mother Marge who was a local girl from Bayard.  They married not long after Dad entered the Army.
After he got out of the Army, he took care of the farm and a lady down the road's farm which we called Granny Nab.  She was no relation but she loved my Daddy too. Randy and I would ride our horse Champ over to Granny Nab's house all the time.  It was a deserted shack at that time.  Dad also worked in the other family business for Great Western Sugar.  He had always loved retail.   He opened Fairview 50 Grocery Store, outside of Scottsbluff, NE.  I remember the vintage coke machine, the minnow tank outside (people would stop on their way out to Lake Minatare to fish) and how he always loved to talk to people.  I was just a toddler at this time, but o no doubt about it, he loved that little store. 


Eventually he became laid up after falling out of a tree on the farm and breaking both legs & ribs and were forced to move to town.  After he recovered with my help at the age of 4, he worked for Kuner-Empson as a salesman and returned to Great Western Sugar as a fieldman. I would always ride in the car or truck with him and he would buy me candy cigarettes and let me light them on his car lighter.  I think we ruined several lighters and boy did the candy stink burning.
Dad married my step Mother Judi when I was 12 and when I was in high school he finally got his dream once again fulfilled and bought Alexander's Super Market in Scottsbluff, NE.
Dad, Judi and my baby daughter Bekah
1984
He had the Mitchell Cafe, bought the Mitchell Grocery Store, had a gas station, a mini storage, and drove the wrecker for the County. Busy Busy man, I called him Mr Monopoly after he bought his 18th rental.  Retail, People, and his family was his life. There was never a day that went by that I didn't feel his love.  

He passed in March of 1995 and is resting near Chimney Rock by Bayard, NE and the day of the funeral everyone told me that they saw him the day he passed and he smiled, sayed hi and spoke to them.  I swear he was everywhere that day.  He had the most beautiful smile and blue eyes that lit up no matter what. He worked very hard and was respected by all.  An incredible man who raised me and my brother and he is deeply deeply missed. He taught me life is precious, don't go to sleep mad at your loved ones, ALWAYS tell them you love them and never say goodbye... to this day I only say see ya to the ones I love.  I can't wait to see him again and get one of those famous hugs he always gave us and see that wonderful smile.  

Happy Birthday Daddy in Heaven... I will be watching for my penny <wink>


No comments:

Post a Comment