About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Diva's Grandma Sarah's Whoopie Pie Cookies

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
Whoopie Pie Cookies
Inspiration:  This is marked in one of Grandma Sarah's recipe books from 1965.  I love when she circled recipes. Most are wonderfully delish!
Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
5 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1~1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup hot water
____________
filling:
2 egg whites, beaten
1 TB vanilla
4 TB milk
4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup shortening

Instructions:
Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs.  Add sifted dry ingredients alternating with sour milk. Combine soda and hot water; add.  Drop from TB spoon onto cookie sheet and Bake @ 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
____________
filling:
Beat egg whites, vanilla and milk.  Add 2 cups powdered sugar.  Cream 2 cups powdered sugar and shortening together. Mix both together.  Spread between cookies when they are cooled.
Variation:  if you don't have sour milk, you can add 1 TB vinegar to the milk.
I have also substituted peanut butter for the shortening in the filling.


No comments:

Post a Comment