About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Diva's Grandma Sarah's German Grebel

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
German Grebel
Inspiration:  This was Grandma Sarah's German Grebel.
Ingredients:
1 Cup buttermilk
4 eggs
3 TB mazola oil
1/4 Cup sugar
4 1/2 - 5 Cups flour
1 Cup sour cream
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
powdered sugar or cinnamon & sugar for sprinkle's
Instructions:
Mix buttermilk and sour cream.  Then add baking soda; sugar; salt; oil; eggs.  Beat well.  In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together and add to buttermilk mixture.  It will make a soft dough - so this is what determines the flour amount. Start with lesser amount and add if need be. Put in refrigerator overnight; and may also be frozen for a later time.

Roll out onto floured board until the dough is 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into squares or rectangles.  Make two slits in each square and twist or make one slit in each and pull one corner through slit.

Fry in deep fat fryer 350 degrees F until brown.  Turn with fork to brown on both sides.  Drain on paper towel.

Sprinkle with sugar

Variation:  can be used to make yummy donuts too.



Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting your recipes!!! My family is also from the Nebraska panhandle and I'm testing Grebel recipes for our family cookbook. Keep documenting your recipes to keep them alive!

    ReplyDelete