About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Grand Opening Monument Mall Ultimate Cake off by Alexander's Super Market

Talk about memory lane... I have been going through my old photo albums and I came across these photo's of a cake that was made by my dad's bakery at Alexander's Super Market, commemorating the opening of the Monument Mall.   They opened in 1986 and my dad, owner, was asked to make a cake to display inside the mall.  This was 20 + years ahead of its time with show's like "Cake Boss" etc. The stats of what into this always blew my mind... all I can say is WOW! Charlotte Radomski was his head cake decorator.  You be the judge on how she did. I give her the award of the best ever Ultimate cake off!  I remember the delivery of this cake and as of many others... It was heavy as heck and dad was not the best driver for deliveries.


A little bit of history of home
In 1828, a fur trapper by the name of Hiram Scott was wounded and deserted by his companions. He gained a certain immortality by making his way to a magnificent formation of bluffs along the North Platte River before succumbing to his wounds. It was for Hiram Scott that Scotts Bluff National Monument, Scotts Bluff County, and the city of Scottsbluff have been named. This landmark on the Oregon, Mormon, and California Trails is now home to an excellent museum of the trails along with an impressive collection of art from William Henry Jackson.

The Summit Road in Scotts Bluff National Monument is believed to be the oldest existing concrete road in the State of Nebraska. The road allows visitors to drive to the top of the Bluff through 3 tunnels for a spectacular view of the valley.

William Henry Jackson was an early photographer of the American West, as well as an accomplished artist. He traveled the Oregon-California Trail in 1866 and 1867, and later in life painted a series of watercolors based on his experiences. Scotts Bluff National Monument houses 63 of Jackson’s historic paintings and many are on display in the monument’s museum.

Scotts Bluff National Monument was designated on December 12, 1919

The 1.6 mile Saddle Rock Trail leads hikers from the visitor center to the summit, and the .5 mile Oregon Trail Pathway leads from the visitor center to the remnants of the Oregon Trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment