About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Diva's Aunt Lela's Book "Popa's Razor Strop" chapter 4. "That Cherished Christmas Box"

Grandad Dale Zemanek, born February 9, 1910 was raised by Grandpa Hood.  His father, Frederick William passed away a couple months in Dundee, IA before his birth and his mother Winnie Hood Zemanek Williams passed away 8 years after Grandad's birth.  
1919 - Married James Edward 'Ed' Hood in Melbeta. He was a widower with two married children.  His son Eddie was killed in France during WW I and daughter Winnie Hood Zemanek Williams died in 1918. Ed Hood took grandson, Dale Zemanad (typo found online @ http://www.potterama.net/private/Genealogy/d270.htm) to raise and Harvey Harward raised the Williams children.
One of the Williams girls, Lela Givens Garrett, which would have been a step syblings to Grandad Dale wrote a book back in 1981 called "Papa's Razor Strop".  I remember us calling her Aunt Lela and at the time didn't understand all the connections til later on in my life.  I recall stories of us being related to Monty Montana and Monty Montana Jr and we use to go watch him perform at the Denver Stock Show.  I loved cowboys and to watch him swing his rope kept me in awe.  Monty Sr was the son of Great great Uncle Mickel and Aunt Edna.  They were Lela's Great Uncle and Aunt.


Aunt Lela's book was a beautifully written work of art that vividly conjures the warm and wonderful memories of growing up on a Nebraska farm in the early years of the twentieth century.  I have a first Edition autographed by Lela in 1981.  A family gift to treasure.  It is dedicated to her Papa and Mama and her brothers and sisters:  Oscar, Ester, Harvey, Bill, Hickey, Neda, Alice Lorene and Elden.


My favorite chapter has always been chapter 4.  "That Cherished Christmas Box"  It talks about how they would travel by wagon and Grandpa making the trip comfortable for the family.  He would warm bricks and flatirons in the oven to put under the blankets to keep everyone warm.  They take the low road to Minatare, Ne passing the Great Western Sugar factory which was a huge part of our past growing up.  All our family raised sugar beets and worked at the factory in the fall.  If you have never smelled the smell of a full going sugar factory... you have no idea how pungent it can be.  Grandad always called it the smell of money. The Christmas ride and day they shared was filled with anticipation of the most wonderful Christmas ever.  Little did they know, it was their Grandpa's last Christmas but they cherished it forever.


Cherish each day as its your last.  Hold your loved ones close this Christmas, you never know if its your's or their last.  Merry Christmas all.


Pictures From Lela's Book

No comments:

Post a Comment