About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Diva's Strawberry & Cream Scones

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
Strawberry & Cream Scones
Inspiration:  When we lived in Kokomo, IN, we loved going to Panera's.  They had scones in their bakery cases and my daughter and I loved their scones, so we learned how to make them.  Strawberries are my favorite.
Ingredients:
2 Cups flour

1/3 Cup + 1 TB sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 tsp grated lemon zest
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 Cup cold butter, cut into pieces
3/4 Cup heavy cream
1 Cup chopped Strawberries
1 egg, lightly beaten
Instructions:
Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. In medium bowl combine flour, 1/3 C sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt and cinnamon. Cut butter into flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.  Stir in cream and strawberries until a dough forms.  With wet hands, put dough on to a lightly floured counter and shape into 8" x 1" disk.  Brush the top with the beaten egg and the remaining sugar.  Cut into 8 wedges.  Put on baking sheet 2" apart and bake 12-15 minutes.  Remove and cool on a rack.

Variation:  Can serve with Berry Butter: Combine 1/4 Cup butter, room temp, 1 TB strawberry jam and 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest.

Pretty for Christmas Brunch or you favorite Valentine in Bed:)

Makes 8
carb count on scone:  36 grams, Berry Butter:  1 gram per tsp



No comments:

Post a Comment