About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Diva's Hard Candy / Lollipops

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
   Hard Candy  



Inspiration from: Grandad use to bring us kids home hard candy he made in a beaker on the bunsen burner in the lab at the sugar factory where he worked.  When he brought in the white cardboard canister, we knew we were in for a treat.  I always made lollipops and hard candy for my kids when they were growing up.  I had a friend who had parties and sold tons of molds... I think we had every mold made.  I preferred to use LorAnn oils when make them.  Cinnamon, clove, and peppermint are the most potent.  I took pride in having the hottest cinnamon candy in town.


Ingredients
2 Cups sugar
2/3 Cups light corn syrup
3/4 Cup water


1 dram oil flavor of your choice
liquid food coloring 
powdered sugar
Directions

In a 2-quart kettle or large saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.

Insert candy thermometer if using, making certain it does not touch the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring.  
  

Continue to cook the syrup, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 260º F; add color. Do not stir; boiling action will incorporate color into syrup.
 
Remove from heat precisely at 300° F (temperature will continue rising), or until drops of syrup form hard, brittle threads in cold water (hard crack stage). After boiling action has ceased, add flavor and stir. USE CAUTION WHEN ADDING FLAVORING TO AVOID RISING STEAM.

Carefully pour syrup into prepared molds or onto the prepared greased and foil lined cookie sheet. (As the sugar mixture begins to set up, you may want to score with a large knife to mark squares.)
 
Cool completely. Break sheet candy into small pieces and dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Store in airtight containers between waxed paper. If making lollipops, do not dust with powdered sugar, but place in sucker bags and secure with twist ties.  Store hard candy in a cool, dry place. (Do not refrigerate.)


Variations
Be very careful with the hot syrup, extremely hot, so take precautions for yourself and anyone around you while making the candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment