About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Diva's Fattigman "Poor Man's cookie"

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
Fattigman "Poor man's cookie"
Inspiration:  this was considered the poor man's cookie because during the depression when Grandma & Grandad Zemanek grew up, rations were short and it was easier to fry than bake.
Ingredients:
1 cup flour, just enough to make a soft dough to roll out, may need to adjust
5 egg yolks
1 whole egg
6 TB cream
6 TB sugar
1/8 tsp cardamon


powdered sugar for dusting

Instructions:
Beat eggs slightly and add other ingredients to form a soft dough.  Roll thin, cut into a diamond shape, cut slit in center and pull one end through the slit. Deep fry and drain on paper towel.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Variation: Makes close to 100 depending on the size you cut.
Ow and don't waste those egg whites, grandma would whip up an angel food cake or just scramble them for breakfast.  NEVER ever waste...



No comments:

Post a Comment