About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Dale William Zemanek...Grandad was an awesome man!

Sunday's at the Zemanek Farm were full of fun, work and just being a family.  Like I mentioned before, up before the crack of dawn taking care of the animals, then breakfast, then all of us would take care of things on the farm that needed to be done. Grandad was always in the fields all week and worked in the lab at the sugar beet factory and didn't have the time to do the up keep that needed to be done.  So we would all pitch in and take care of what needed to be done.

There were only 2 boys born to Margaret (Gartman) and Dale William Zemanek, but between the two of boys there were 6 of us cousins.  Uncle Lewis had LynAnn was the oldest, then Cathy, Bill and Robert.  Dad had Randy and I.

Grandad Dale was born in a little town called Dundee, Iowa on February 9, 1910.  It was always easy to keep track of his age, all you had to do was subtract 10 from the year.  His family came from Czechoslovakia originally.  He was born to Frederick William Zemanek and Winnifred Hood.  This is a little History on Dundee, Iowa: http://www.dundeeweb.com/history.html.  I found this interesting...

From what I can find, Joseph was born in 1887 and passed not long after that article was written in 1921.  Joseph would have been Grandad's Uncle.  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSln=Zemanek&GSiman=1&GScty=37500&   These two pictures I found and family links confirmed names and dates.

Something I didn't know was his father passed away just a couple months prior to Grandad's birth.


Frank R.Zemanek, their father was the local Blacksmith and Horseshoer of Dundee.  And this is where the family as his parents and grandparents descended from Czechoslovakia in the me 1800's:

Father: Frank Zemanek b: 22 JUL 1849 in Bohemia 
Mother: Maria A. Kostecka b: 28 APR 1845 in Bohemia
Father: Vincent Zemanek b: 18 DEC 1808 in Vesely, Bohemia 
Mother: Josephine Paukner b: 26 JUL 1812 in Vesely, Bohemia


Interesting stuff you can find on the internet these days.


http://lenapedelawarehistory.net/mirror/hood_family.htm


I remember Grandad being raised by another family in Dundee and I have been trying to track what happened to Grandma Winnifred.  There were stories told of Grandad being a cousin of Monte Montana Jr and I am not sure if it was from the adopted family.


I will continue to do some research on this on write as I find out the results.




1 comment:

  1. I hope I am posting a note to Cheryl Zemanek. I am working on some genealogy. My great grandmother, Matilda Zemanek Lingard, was Fredrick Zemanek's sister. He was your great grandfather. I have some information I could share with you. You said you wanted to know what happened to Winifred. Please email me at katwalkster@gmail.com. Kathy Walker

    ReplyDelete