About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Diva's Upside Down Apple Tart

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
Upside Down Apple Tart
Inspiration:  We had a huge apple tree in the yard at the Zemanek farm.  Grandma would use a caste iron skillet to cook the apples in and also bake.
Ingredients:
1 cup cold butter, cut-up
2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1~3/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup ice water
3 lbs Granny Smith Apples, peeled and quartered
1/2 cup butter, cut-up
Instructions:
Freeze 1 cup butter for 30 minutes.  Put cold butter, flour, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar in food processor and pulse 8 times.  should resemble coarse meal.  Add 1/2 ice water, 1 TB at a time.  Pulse just until mixture comes together and forms a dough.  Turn dough out on a piece of plastic wrap & shape into a disk.  Chill 2-24 hours.  
Gently stir together Apples, 1/2 cup butter and remaining sugar in a large bowl.  Put apple mixture into a 10 inch skillet.  (will be very full)  Cook over low heat for 1 hour or until liquid is reduced and thickened.  Put in a 10 inch baking dish. (I line the bottom with parchment paper).
Pre-heat oven 425 degrees F.  Unwrap chilled dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll into 12 inch circle & place over apples tucking edges of dough around apples.  Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.  Invert on serving plate.

Variation:  Yields 8 servings
Can add nuts before putting in the apples to baking dish.  I have also added cinnamon to the recipe for that added boast.
wonderFUL with a scoop of Granddad's home made ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment