About Me

My photo
I was raised by my father (God rest his soul) in the valley of Nebraska. The background picture is of the Scottsbluff National Monument I took on a trip home... Thank Goodness I had Czech & German Grandmother's and Aunt's who taught me how to cook, sew and overall be the most giving person ever. The lady in this picture is my Aunty. She passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago. and was a huge influence on who I am and how I love. She and My Best Friend inspired this blog... I don't want anything to be forgotten!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Diva's Apple Butter Cake with Caramel Icing

Diva’s Memories of Recipes
Apple Butter Cake 
with Caramel Icing
Inspiration:  Every year I like to can Apple Butter and Pumpkin Butter.  This is a great spice recipe to have for a snack or brunch.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2~1/2 cups flour
1~1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup apple butter
ICING
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cream
1~1/2 TB butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
Instructions:
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs.  Sift dry ingredients and add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.  Blend well and add apple butter. Pour into 8 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.  Cool and frost.
ICING
in a heavy sauce pan, combine sugar and cream. Cook for several minutes with the lid on.  Remove lid and bring to a boil for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.   Add butter.  Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Add vanilla and beat til thick and creamy.  Spread on Cake.

Variation: Can use pumpkin butter also.  I have added nuts too.


No comments:

Post a Comment